Sunday, July 17, 2016

Strengths-Based Leadership

I have just finished reading chapter 8- Strenghts-Based Leadership in the book The Innovator's Mindset by George Couros.  A nice takeaway from the chapter was the idea that "If we are going to empower our students, we must help them find what they love and create learning experiences that encourage them to develop their strengths."  Hello!? So the questions are:


1. How can we play on our students' strengths to make their weaknesses stronger? 
    This is a very broad question.  I feel that in order to actually answer this question I would have to go through my entire class list and explain each of their strengths, as they will all be different.  To address the question as best as I can in a broad sense, I can change things for the class as I see them happen.  For example; many of the classic shop students have a hard time working on and turning in their textbook homework assignments.  I see this is happening, so how can if work their strengths? I could change the chapter assignment to a work order for the shop.  Now there is practical paperwork, and I can deliver the information from the chapter through a class demonstration. 

2. How would you go about finding your students' strengths in the first few days/weeks of school to help throughout the rest of the year?
    The great thing about Waitsburg School District is the fact that we are quite small.  This means that I already have a pretty solid knowledge of my students.  That of course is not enough.  The staff is also very good about sharing information.  This to me is a double edge blade at times.  It is great to get information on a student, but I am very careful about not letting that information give me a pre-conceived notion about a kid that may not be completely accurate.  One of my favorite games to play is 2 truths and a lie.  This does a few things for me: 1- I find out what there favorite summer activities are, and 2- I can tell if they are serious, silly, or looking to push the envelope.  

3. How do we mold learning as a student's "dream job" while they are in school?
    The great thing about the subjects I teach is that they are literally jobs that the student could begin to work at as soon as they finish my program.  My students may ask, “Why are we doing this?”  Most of the time I feel they are just asking that to get a rise out of me, and they are used to saying that to their other teachers.  They know before I begin my rant why they are learning this, and that they can/will use these skills in the “real world.”  I treat my shop classes just as if they were on the work site.  Their grade is tied to the amount of time they are on the job.  I would like to start adding items such as time cards, work invoices, and such to the daily routine.

These review questions are allowing game to dig deeper into Couros's theory and think about my own classroom and students.  I am excited to be planning for this school year.  

No comments:

Post a Comment